A technique for constructing the aerosol size spectrum correlation matrix based on the use of a number of analytic models of the stratospheric aerosol distribution in proposed. The feasibility of using such matrix eigenvectors as a model basis for the optical characteristics of a polydisperse aerosol is discussed, using the aerosol extinction coefficients as an example.
1. M.S. Biryulina and Yu.M. Timofeyev, Studies of Earth from Space, to be published (1990).
2. D. Deirmendjian, Electromagnetic Scattering on Spherical Polydispersions (Elsevier, Amsterdam; American Elsevier, New York, 1969).
3. V.E. Zuev and G.M. Krekov, Modern Problems of Atmospheric Optics (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1988), Vol. 2.
4. E.E. Artemkin and V.A. Smerkalov, Tr. IPG (Proc. Inst. Appl. Geophys.), No. 68, 101–108 (1987).
5. P.B. Russell, T.J. Swisler, M.P. McCormick, W.P. Chu, et al., J. Atm. Sci. 38, No. 6, 1279–1294.