A spectral approach to the three-dimensional problem of nonlinear phenomena which are associated with the radiation intensity is proposed. The approach is based on Maxwell's equations and the general expression for the polarization of the medium. The frequency-dependent component of the polarization is represented as a power series in the spectral components of the field intensity; the solution of the nonlinear problem is expressed in terms of the solution of the corresponding linear problem. The problem is reduced to a second-order nonlinear differential equation, whose solution is found. The problems associated with using the solutions to boundary-value problems are discussed. The main attention is devoted to the propagation of radiation near the spectral lines of a molecular atmosphere. The discussion is limited to media with cubic nonlinearity.
1. A.B. Schvartzburg, in: Nonlinear Electromagnetics, P.L.E. Uslenghi, ed., (Academic Press, N.Y., 1980) [Russian translation] (Mir, Moscow, 1983), 104 pp.
2. E.V. Lugin and A.V. Shapovalov, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved. SSSR, Ser. Fiz., No. 9, 102 (1987), No. 2, 36 (1989).
3. V.A. Donchenko, M.V. Kabanov, E.V. Lugin, A.A. Nalivaiko, and A.V. Shapovalov, Opt. Atm. 1, No. 1, 67 (1988); 2, No. 12, 1286 (1989).
4. E.V. Lugin, Izv. Vyssch. Uchebn. Zaved. SSSR, Ser. Radiofiz., No. 27, 110 (1984).
5. M. Schubert and B. Wilgelmi, Introduction to Nonlinear Optics. Pt. I. Classical Treatment [Russian translation] (Mir, Moscow, 1973), 246 pp.
6. S.A. Achmanov, V.A. Vysloukh, and A.S. Chirkin, Optics of Femtosecond Laser Pulses [in Russian] (Nauka, Moscow, 1988), 312 pp.
7. M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics (Pergamon Press, N.Y., 1980) [Russian translation] (Nauka, Moscow, 1973), 856 pp.
8. J.A. Stratton, Electromagnetic Theory (McGraw-Hill, N.Y., 1941) [Russian translation] (Ogiz-Gostekhizdat, Moscow, 1948), 540 pp.
9. M.V. Kabanov and E.V. Lugin, "Nonlinear scattering of light by small particles," Tomsk,VINITI, No. 752-V88, (1987).
10. J. Reintjes, Nonlinear Optical Parametric Processes in Liquids and Gases (Academic Press, N. Y., 1984) [Russian translation] (Mir, Moscow, 1987), 512 pp.
11. L.D. Ievleva and M.A. Korner, Opt. Spektrosk. 26, No. 4, 601 (1969); 29, No. 5, 1002 (1970).
12. B.G. Ageev, Yu.I. Ponomarev, and B.A. Tikhomirov, Nonlinear Optoacoustic Spectroscopy of Molecular Gases (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1987), 128 pp.