The possibility of minimizing the angular divergence of partially coherent radiation in the far zone is studied in this paper for the medium with nonlinearity of Kerr type. General formulation is given for the condition under which it is possible to obtain maximum intensity at the observation point. It is also shown that a possibility occurs of obtaining the angular divergence smaller than the diffraction one in the focusing medium. Optimal values of the initial parameters of radiation are determined and the influence of coherent properties of radiation on the minimization of angular divergence is studied. The results presented in the paper allows the determination of the parameters region for which the desired value of angular divergence can be achieved
1. M.A. Vorontsov and V.I. Shmal’gauzen, Principles of Adaptive Optics, [in Russian], (Nauka, Moscow, 1985).
2. V.P. Lukin, Atmospheric Adaptive Optics, [in Russian], (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1986).
3. L.C. Bradley and J. Herrmann, J. Appl. Opt., 13, 331 (1974).
4. S.A. Akhmanov, M.A. Vorontsov, V.P. Kandidov, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Ser. Radiofiz., 23, No. 1, 1 (1980).
5. V.E. Zuev, P.A. Konyaev, V.P. Lukin, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Ser. Fiz., 28, No. 11, 6(1985)
6. M.F. Kuznetsov, Investigation of the Propagation of Partly Coherent Radiation in the Atmosphere under Conditions of Nonlinear Wind-Generated Refraction, Author’s Abstract of Candidate Dissertation, (Institute of Atmospheric Optics, Siberian Branch USSR Academy of Sciences, Tomsk, 1987).
7. I.Yu. Polyakova, and A.P. Sukhorukov, Optika Atmosfery 1, No. 7, 93 (1988).
8. V.V. Kolosov and A.V. Kuzikovskii, Kvant. Elektron. 8, 480 (1981).
9. V.V. Vorob’yev, Thermal Self-Action of Laser Radiation in the Atmosphere, [in Russian], (Nauka, Moscow, 1987).