Some technical requirements to the design of laser measurers of radiation extinction coefficients aimed at improving the accuracy of measurements along the paths in the boundary layer are discussed in the paper. It is shown in the paper that full interception of sounding beam by a receiving aperture is needed in order to eliminate the influence of beam wandering, random energy redistribution over the beam cross section and of the beam expansion to the measurement accuracy. Block-diagram at the device operating at λ= 10,6μm is also presented in the paper. The characteristics of the device were tested experimentally. It was shown that the RMS-error of the extinction coefficient measurements along the path of 0,5 km length was 6%, the extinction coefficient values being from 0,06 to 4,0 km. An automated correction for angles of regular refraction within 1 angular minute is performed.
1. V.E. Zuev, Propagation of Visible and Infra-Red Waves in the Atmosphere (Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow, 1970).
2. V.L. Filippov et al., Opt.-Mekh. Prom-st’, No. 6, 24 (1979).
3. N.I. Vagin, V.P. Vaulin, S.N. Denchik, and R.Sh. Tsvyk, Opt. Atmos. 1, No. 6, 90 (1988).
4. M.V. Kabanov, D.M. Kabanov, and S.M. Sakerin, Opt. Atmos., 1, No. 1, 107 (1988).
5. M.S. Belen’kii, V.P. Lukin, V.L. Mironov, et. al., Coherence of Laser Radiation in the Atmosphere (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1985).
6. I.I. Plyusnin and Yu.F. Yatskeev, Measuring Instruments for Sounding the Parameters of the Ground Atmospheric Layer, Institute of Atmospheric Optics, Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Tomsk (1977).
7. USSR Patent No. 934427 USSR, Device for Measuring the Structural Characteristic of the Refraction Index of the Atmosphere, R.Sh. Tsvyk and I.Ya. Shapiro, Publ. No. 21, (1982).
8. V.N. Aref’ev and V.I. Dianov-Klokov, Kvant. Elektron., 3, No. 4, 923 (1976).
9. S.E. Graig, D.R. Morgan, D.L. Roberts, and L.R. Showman, ЕРА 650/2-74-046-a, 1, 88 (1974).
10. M.V. Panchenko, Yu.A. Pkhalagov, A.G. Timakov, and V.N. Uzhegov, Abstracts of Reports of the V-th All-Union Symposium on Laser Beam Propagation Through the Atmosphere, Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Tomsk, 2, 215 (1983).