A new method for the measurement of the wavefront variance is proposed. The optimal measurement range for the method is found to be λ/50 < σπ<λ /8, for which the accuracy of the method is about 6-30%.
1. B.F. Poltaratskii, Zn. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. Pis’ma 27, No. 7, 406 (1978).
2. A.V. Ivonin and N.I. Vagin, Opt. Spectrosk. 58, No. 1, 235 (1985).
3. Author's Certificate No. 1223033, SSSR, MCI SO 1 В 11/24, Method for Control of Optical Systems Quality, A.G. Borovoi, A.V. Ivonin, E.A. Vitrichenko, V.M. Kabanov, L.A. Pushnoi, and V.Ya. S"edin, Publ. in Bull. of Invent., No. 13 (1986).4. E.A. Vitrichenko, V.E. Zuev, V.P. Lukin, and L.A. Pushnoi, Analysis of Errors in the Optics of Large Telescopes, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 300, No. 2, 199 (1988).
5. L.A. Pushnoi, Abstracts of Reports of the twelvth All-Union Conference on High-Speed Photography, Photonics, and Metrology of Fast Processes, All-Union Scientific-Research Institute for Optical-Physical Measurements, 87 (1985).
6. A.G. Borovoi and A.V. Ivonin, Opt. Spectrosk., 53, No. 6, 1049 (1982).
7. A.V. Ivonin and V.Ya. S"edin, Abstracts of Reports of the eighth All-Union Conference on Laser and Acoustic Sensing of the Atmosphere, Tomsk, Part 2, 54 (1984).
8. N.D. Ustinov, I.N. Matveev, and V.V. Protopopov, Methods for Processing of Optical Fields in Laser Sounding (Nauka, Moscow, 1983).
9. Lenses: Classification of Wavefront Errors and Errors in the Manufacturing of Optical Elements, Branch Standard, OST 3-5476-83 (USSR) Group 091. First introduced, July, 1983.
10. P.V. Novitskii and I.A. Zograf, Estimation of Measurement Errors (Energoatomizdat, ’Leningrad, 1985).