Hysteresis phenomena in a CO2 -laser with a nonlinear intracavity absorber were studied for the lasing lines P(16)-P(28) in the 10mm transition. Sulphur hexafluoride was used as the nonlinear absorber. The current and frequency hysteresis as well as the hysteresis accompanying a change in the unsaturated absorption and the Q-factor of the resonator were recorded experimentally. The possibility of using such a laser as a fast "gas shutter" is discussed.
1. V.N. Lisitsyn and V.P. Chebotaev, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 7, No. 3 (1968).
2. A.P. Kazantsev, S.G. Rautian, and G.I. Surdutovich, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 54, 1409 (1968).
3. O.R. Wood and S.E. Schwars, Appl. Phys. Lett. 11, 88 (1967).
4. V.V. Dembovetskii and G.I. Surdutovich, Laser Beams (Khabarovsk, 1975).
5. E.F. Plinski and K.M. Abramski, Appl. Opt., 14, 301 (1984).
6. H. Brunet, IEEE. T. QE-6, 678 (1970).
7. C.O. Weiss, Opt. Commn. 42, 291 (1982).
8. V.V. Dembovetskii and G.I. Surdutovich, Laser Beams (Khabarovsk, 1985).