We have investigated theoretically plasmochemical evolution of products of a pulsed microwave discharge in the atmosphere altitudes ranging from 30 to 60km. It is shown that the discharge induces an intense dissociation of molecules. The number of oxygen and nitrogen atoms produced have been found. The major products of chemical evolution at the postdischarge stage are nitrogen oxides and ozone in a concentration ratio of 10-2. The most critical factor affecting the ratio is the gas temperature. As the temperature is increased the concentration of nitrogen oxides is also found to increase while that of ozone tends to decrease.
1. N.D. Borisov, A.V. Gurevich, and G.M. Milikh, Artificially Ionized Regions in the Atmosphere [in Russian], IZMIRAN, Moscow, (1986).
2. M. McEwan and L. Phillips, Chemistry of the Atmosphere, Wiley, N.Y. (1975), [in Russian, Mir, Moscow, (1978)].
3. S. Solomon, R.R. Garsia, F.S. Rowland, and D.J. Wuebbles, J. Nature, 321, No. 6072, 757 (1986).
4. A.I. Zakharov, K.S. Klopovskii, A.P. Osipov, et al., Fiz. Plazmy, 14, No. 3, 327 (1988).
5. G.A. Askar’yan, G.M. Batanov, I.A. Kossyi, A.Yu. Kostinskii, Dokl. Akad. Nauk USSR, 302, No. 3, 566 (1988).
6. H.S. Johnston, J. Podolske, Rev. Geophys. Space Sci., 16, No. 4, 494 (1978).
7. M. Nicolet, Rev. Geophys. Space Sci., 13, No. 4, 595 (1978).
8. M.R. Torr and D.G. Torr, Rev. Geophys. Space Sci., 20, No. 1, 116 (1982).
9. A.M. Zadorozhnyi, The Investigations of the Lower Ionisphere, [in Russian, Institute of Geology and Geophysics of the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Novosibirsk 1982)].
10. V.F. Larin, Preprint No. 86-08-52, PGI KNT, Akad. Nauk SSSR, Apatity (1986).
11. G.A. Ivanov, A.I. Konakhina, and V.E. Ivanov, Preprint No. 83-10-29, PGI KNT, Akad. Nauk SSSR, Apatity (1984).
12. A.S. Kirillov, A.I. Konakhina, and V.E. Ivanov, Preprint No. 84-05-33, PGI
KNT, Akad. Nauk SSSR, Apatity (1984).
13. V.F. Larin and S.A. Rumyantsev, Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 15, No. 6, 87 (1989).
14. A.N. Vasil'eva, I.A. Grishina, K.S. Klopovskii,
et al., Fiz. Plazmy, 15, No. 2, 190 (1989).
15. M.E. Fraser and L.G. Piper, Phys. Chem., 93, No. 3, 1107 (1989).
16. A.A. Arykov and V.F. Larin, Geomagn. Aeron., 26 No. 3, 506 (1986).